Monday, December 26, 2005

Lukewarm?

I found myself over the Christmas holidays in prayer asking God some seriously self-revealing questions about me. Am I becoming lukewarm? If not, how would I know if I was? Would I have to depend on someone else informing me, or would I finally recognize it as an "oh my gosh, i've grown lukewarm over the past few months!" after-thought that should have been avoided in the first place?

All I know is I want to stay sensitive to God - to His Spirit - in my life. I want prayer to not be a nuisance or some chore. I don't want to have to have someone like Londa approach me and tell me i'm not what I once was spiritually. So, how do I do this? How do I avoid that in my life? Well, I think it's the same principle as not becoming a lazy couch potato who becomes unhealthy and fails to even see his own condition. It's called DISCIPLINE. I need to stay pro-active in my walk and relationship with my Lord.

My personal understanding of the whole lukewarm, hot, cold thing that is so frequently quoted in scripture is a bit different than is usually taught. Based on my studies of the root meanings of the original language and culture that is was spoken in, to be lukewarm is to be useless to God. Being hot or cold is useFUL. Hot water and cold water can be used for many things, but lukewarm is just plain nasty. That's the implied meaning here! That's why Jesus said in Revelation that He would rather the Church be hot OR cold. If He only wanted us to be hot, then why would he include cold as one of the preferred options? You see? he wants us to be useful to Him for His glory and for His Kingdom. So, be like hot or cold water and be something He can use. Don't become lukewarm / useless.

That's my prayer for me and for my family - and for you. How can we do that? How can we remain useful? Discipline. Stay focused on Jesus. Read and study and digest the scriptures. Listen for His voice. Pray and seek Him daily. Remain pliable in His hands. Those are just a few ideas to gnaw on.

Blessings,
-David

No comments: